Thursday, April 26, 2012

What I learned at NSAC

For the past semester I sold my soul to Nissan and TCU's NSAC Campaigns competition team. There were definitely some times I stopped and asked myself "what were you thinking?!"But in the end it turned out to be a rewarding and great learning experience.

What does this have to do with media ethics, you ask? Well, I think it is important as a student who is about to enter the working world to understand the inner-workings of a true, start to finish, advertising (or anything that falls into your expertise) campaign. And I learned just that through this experience!

One of the most important things I learned, which sort of involves ethical thinking, is how a group operates. I have never fully grasped how integral the success of a project is on the positive energy of a group. Transparency is key. This seems obvious considering the field we are in, but when working with people you have to be upfront even if it could potentially hurt people's feelings. If someone's idea is not good, let them know. If someone did something wrong, let them know. If you can't contribute in the best capacity, let people know. There is always a solution and if you aren't upfront, it becomes apparent later on when negative situations present themselves.

Looking at a situation from start to finish, not jumping the gun and making decisions without being fully informed is another key thing to remember when taking something like this on. We were constantly reminded about what is going on with competitors. You can't just focus on the client at hand rather you must have a grasp of what is going on in the ever changing market place. This will effect the success of your campaign up until the moment you launch it.

This only scratches the surface of the lessons learned. But, to me, these are the most important aspects of a successful campaign and success in your professional path. I have much more to learn and huge hurdles ahead of me but I am thankful of the knowledge gained through this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment